Open Accessibility Menu
Open Menu
Coronavirus Information

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions:

For general questions, please call our COVID-19 Hotline at 661.200.2619.

The purpose of this page is to provide the information on topics that people are most interested in. It contains questions we’ve been asked that are of a general nature. We will not post any questions that contain any protected health information, nor will we post any information about those who have asked us questions. If you have a question, please send an e-mail to covidinfo@henrymayo.com.

FAQ:

Q: Why are people who test positive for COVID-19 not kept in isolation at Henry Mayo?

A: Most patients who test positive do not require hospitalization. It is imperative that we have beds available for those patients who are acutely ill and require treatment in a hospital setting. Thus we cannot put patients in our hospital who do not require hospitalization and thereby possibly deny a bed to a patient who needs hospital care.

Q: Why isn’t Henry Mayo publicly identifying the COVID-19 patients and alerting the public about whom those patients have been in contact with?

A: We understand why there is a strong desire for this information. Identifying patients who might be a public health risk and tracking their contacts is under the purview of public health departments. Hospitals are governed by strict state and federal patient privacy laws. We are expressly forbidden from releasing any patient identifying information.

We are required to report all positive cases to the California Department of Public Health, with information that would allow the department to contact these patients. We follow these requirements.

Again, we know this is a stressful time and we understand the public’s desire for this information. The LA County Department of Public Health has information on “Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks.”

Q: I was in your Emergency Department recently. Can you tell me when the COVID-19 positive patients were here so I can know if I might have been exposed?

A: We understand your concern about possible exposure. Due to the patient privacy regulations mentioned in the answer above, we cannot disclose when these patients were at Henry Mayo. We have a process in place to screen our patients and visitors outside of our Emergency Department.

This COVID-19 assessment tool will help you decide if you should see your doctor. Please note, this assessment is not professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consult with a medical professional for serious symptoms.

If you're experiencing any life-threatening symptoms or emergencies, call 911.

Read More Read Less